Thursday, October 15, 2009

Celebrity Superblog

First off I have to say thanks to a small school in Florida who sent the BAS some very thoughtful boxes. 9 to be exact (2 in a black bag to the right). Dr. Tucker, the other Doctor here and my senior, posted our story on a website and this school sent us things like softballs, toiletries, letters, magazines, baby wipes and other things the corpsman need. It was very nice so thank you.


O.K., O.K. What you are about to see or read may look shocking but I want everyone to take a breath. I am an honest and Faithful Husband and father. Today some "celebrities" came by support the troops for about two hours and we all got pictures. This is usually not my thing but since the bachelorette came out, I thought Shannon would definitely want a picture so I obliged her (though she didn't ask). Additionally, we were required by our C.O. to go see them as they came a long way to support us. Some people (mainly single males who enjoy the show Nip/Tuck) were very excited, while others were not so. Celebrities bring out different emotions in all of us. Anyway, Some of the people you may recognize, some maybe not. Most Marines felt that the people were much more down to earth and fun than expected. Especially the dudes. They were very cool. And it was nice they came to see us.
One of my Corpsman as close as he has ever been to a girl. Canlas here is between Ms. Pappas (far right) of previous Bachelorette Fame, the Orbit Gum girl (grey tank top and no British Accent) and Kelly Carlson (far left from Nip/Tuck). I would not have known any of them by sight but we got their Bio's emailed to us before they arrived.

Me next to the Bachelorette and the orbit gum girl holding our squadrons flag. I told them that my wife really liked the bachelorette and that is why I needed a picture.


Me trying not to laugh. The dude on the far left was in Ally Mcbeal and Talladega nights. The dude on the right is on the show Friday night lights I am told. They were all really cool and professional. And they schmoozed with everyone this way. I was not alone in the receiving of affection. After pics they had to all leave. All in all it was a nice diversion.
I miss you all, especially you Shannon. I hope you all are well and will talk to you soon. Mike



O.k. so this is part two of a two part blog. This first picture highlights the largest pack of mentos I have ever seen and my poor attempt to mock their silly commercials. You know at the end they always freeze frame somebody holding out the mentos. What you missed just before this was that I just climbed through a limousine to get to my brother waiting on the other side so I could hand him some mentos before he met his date. Ah, the "Freshmaker".






















These are some very cool, tactical, trench diggers. Note the bulletproof glass and armour around the cabin. This machine is digging a trench to hide the phone lines i that are leading to the BAS. We just got a second line, it is very exciting. I am always impressed by the armored construction equipment. It is also surprising what we have out here in the middle of nowhere. There is nothing around the base but on the base you can find most anything. Hope you are all well and keep in touch. Feel free to join the blog and post comments. Mike





6 comments:

  1. MIKE! Love the blog and look forward to your posts. Great pictures - amazing what you are doing out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so the only one i recognized was the Bachelorette girl, and maybe the orbitz girl. But fun they came and saw you guys.

    What other stuff are you in need of / where can we send packages? We'd love to put a package together (especially if there is any cereal / candy sorts of items you need). let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For Kendra or anyone else thinking of putting a package together I am totally in need of an ATV, any high priced electronics equipment, or perhpaps a Beto's mexican restaurant franchise here in Afghanistan. Seriously, mostly what me Corpsman want are food/snacks/candy etc. Instant oatmeal, dried fruits especially pears or mangoes, cookies (homemade), anything good tasting and especially healthy and delicious. The other big thing that would be useful out here are videos. The best ones seem to be whole seasons of videos like Seinfeld, Fringe etc. This may seem petty, but I would love a Cardinals baseball cap. It is sometimes nice to wear something non-military to make you remember home. I like flex fit but whatever. I think I am a 7 3/8. Lastly, anything sent would be appreciated, really. If you enjoy it we will probably love it. Hope those are some good ideas. Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike,

    I love the pictures you are sending. Thanks for "helping" the US ladies have a good time in Afghanistan!

    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am in St Louis right now! Shannon wants me to bring some Ted Drews home on the plane. I will see what i can do about the Cards hat while I am here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recognized them all, but I wouldn't have figured out the Bachelorette. By many people's opinion, Kelly Carlson is the hottest girl on the planet. Congrats. The Orbitz girls is especially grabby!!

    I love it. I AM JOING THE MARINES!!!! :)

    Packages coming right up!!!

    ReplyDelete