Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Old Guns, new friends

It has been a long time coming but here is the newest installment of the blog. I have been to Kandahar and back since last time. We have met and been training our ANA counterparts. It has been fun and frustrating. Despite interpreters, the language barrier is still very difficult and makes things much harder. We will not shirk, however, and continue to be vigilant.

Below is a picture on an Army base in Kandahar. Something about cannons that makes you feel powerful.

Forget cannons, something about Russian antiair guns that make you feel powerful. Note the large calibur round. The "trigger" is pedals you step on because your hands are cranking the weapon up and down and left and right. I almost stepped on the pedals. I wish I had, it would have been fantastic.
Here I am with Sgt and an ANA NCO. Some call him Saddam others Mario (from Nintendo) but either way he is one tough Afghan. We saw him hitting another ANA soldier who was out of line and talking back. Why would anybody talk back to someone with a moustache like that? On a side note, I keep waiting for the day my facial hair will come in that thick.

On the range the other day I was offered lunch with the Major (to my left) and some other officers. It was delicious. The other Marines got the "runs" but thanks to years of hard eating-hot sauce, jalepenos, 10 day old leftovers, White Castle burgers, MRE's, leather, etc.-I was unfazed and felt very satisfied after.
A close up of the meal below. Half a loaf of Naan (bread), rice with either tumeric or saffron, a clementine and some beans with a small piece of beef. It was all very good and the flavors mild. Most Westerners would find this meal appetizing.





2 comments:

  1. way to have a strong stomach! I love that you eat everything and anything oh wait unless it is fish or my favorite sushi! Just come home safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will and we can eat wherever you want. Sushi, seafood, canned salmon and beets I will do it for you.

    ReplyDelete