Sunday, January 3, 2010

Kabul Remnants Part 1

Upon returning from Kabul I find that I have some interesting/cool/uncool? photos that I feel need to be shared. This information must get out. I have a grandmother, parents, friends and people I haven't even met before that are waiting with baited/bated (unsure of spelling-please someone write me back and let me know) breath for more Afghani info. and pictures that only I can give. I am somewhat worried that this perceived self importance will end when I get home leaving me with an empty void of previously filled self centeredness. Probably, Shannon will just keep me busy with preojects and my dad will help me realize I am not as important as I think I am. With that drawn out tangent over, here are the pics.

Me and a "Frenchy", as the Scarlet Pimpernel would say, representing. His other rifle in my hands, I try to give a "tough face". I guess he rolls around like Rambo with two rifles blazing. Not so cloak and dagger. Not very effective either, if you ask me, but Hollywood would love this guy.
They were building a new tent in Kabul. I just thought this picture looked cool. Almost glorifying the dirt and filth.

The only ATM on one of the bases. It is located in this very large, abandoned building, way at the back. We all thought it was ironic that the only ATM was in a very unsecure, out of the way place. Perfect to get stolen but that is Afghanistan for you.
One very crazy thing is that despite its otherwise deplorable conditions we found a very clean and delicious restaurant on base. Seriously, a waiter and everything. I could have had this Thai food in Oceanside. It was quite surreal. And the Pad Thai was to Thai for.

2 comments:

  1. i love pad thai. if i'm ever in afghanistan i'll have to try that place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you had "baited" breath, you'd smell rather fishy, Mike!

    These pictures and your write-ups are amazing. Glad to finally see what you've been up to after 15 years! Keep safe.

    ReplyDelete