Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Hi all. On Sunday the 13th I left for afghanistan. We were bused to March A.F. Base where we waited for 8 hours then flew to Bangor Maine. We were greeted warmly and waited for 2 hours after which we flew 6 hours to Leipzig Germany. Leipzig is home to many composers including Bach and Handel. I enjoyed some fine German weiners sent home a post card and rested. I thought it was funny that the Arizona iced tea was on sale for 5 bucks while the becks beer was available for 3. We are not allowed to and we did not drink beer but the irony remains. As one of the highest ranking officers on board I enjoyed first class seating and some o.k. food. We took off from germany and flew 6.5 hours to Kyrgistan. This former soviet block country is home to manas A.F. base. There were signs of the old soviet regime around. This one gentleman was there to meet us and he had the coolest hat ever so we had to take a picture, below. The base is fine, really good DFAC (dining facility - A.F./Army lingo) delicious food and lots of it. Free wifi and beds to sleep on. The A.F. does take care of its people. I am crazy tired as it is now the 15th of September and my circadian rhythms are totally messed up. I will try to get in touch with you but I want my kids to know I love them. Boss, Freckles, Shelby, I miss you. Good luck in school!






No comments:

Post a Comment