Thursday, March 25, 2010

Osprey Trip

The other day I finally got to ride in the osprey. We flew all over the area of operation. It was a long day but I got some cool pictures and had a great time. The best part is that apparently we were the first Osprey to do a 30 degree take off here. They just got cleared to do them and I happened to be on board. 30 degrees may not sound like much but it is powerful. Well, there is a strap around your waist, connected to a bolt in the floor so you can't fall out the back of the bird. However, I was not ready when they did their first 30 degree take off and was standing up. Well, when they took off I hit the floor. I didn't get hurt but it was pretty funny. I lay there unable to move, (because the force was so strong) just laughing.

Here is a picture of a waterway in the 'Stan. Didn't know they had that here, it is so bleak everywhere else. There were actual green areas (farms mostly) in parts we flew over. I was so surprised. This picture was taken looking out the back of the Osprey. We flew with the back open all day.

Me in front of the back of the Osprey. Note the crewmember putting gas in - like we just pulled into Chevron back home. While this system is slightly more complex, refueling here follows the same basic principles as filling up your car.

Me looking out the back in flight. You can't see the horizon but take my word for it we were up in the air. It was a great time to say the least.
Capt. Scotti had a birthday out here. We were able to talk a Gurkha into giving us his Kukhri knife. Scotti liked it (I think) and showed us his best pirate face. The Marine Corps, after all, has a strong naval tradition. For the party we blew up rubber gloves for balloons and strung bandages for streamers. It was what we had in the BAS left. I think everyone had a good time.




No comments:

Post a Comment